Sunday, July 24, 2011

More of the same - mini vanilla cupcakes with rosewater buttercream

I had a half batch of rosewater buttercream frosting left over in the fridge so thought I'd try Little Betsy Baker's Vanilla Cupcake Recipe again to make mini cupcakes and spend more time playing with my new icing set (mainly star tip 22).


I guess this is obvious, but I was reading the other day on someone's blog that they weigh their cupcakes to get them all exactly the same size. So I had a go at that, but didn't know how much to actually aim for! My tray takes 24 small cupcakes and I initially put 30 grams into each case, but then had a little left over which I shared out amongst them... so I suppose they were more like 32g. And that was slightly too much. They spread out and stuck together, so next time I won't try to squeeze it all into the one pan - lesson learned.


And then I set to work on the actual decorating, which is good fun. I wanted to experiment a little bit so ended up with a varied assortment of little cakes.


As this was the same icing batch from the other day I mostly just had the pale pink colour, but I did keep a little bit without colouring (the occasional pale yellow detail that you can see). I don't mind the pastel shades, but brighter colours would be better for contrast, and I think you really need the icing to be a bit harder if you're going to be piping on top of a base layer.

I like the rosette shape (below centre) better than the traditional swirl (probably because I can't get my swirls very neat just yet).

No comments:

Post a Comment