Saturday, February 23, 2013

Cakie takes on Smitten Kitchen's Salted Caramel Brownies

I noted some inspiration from Smitten Kitchen in my last post, and I've been holding onto it all week, just waiting for the weekend to arrive! My photos aren't as pretty, but these brownies are seriously, dangerously delicious.


I've never made my own caramel before, but it was surprisingly easy!


Most of the cream sold in Japanese supermarkets is whipped, and I would guess perhaps artificial. I only found two non-whipped options, and the one that I chose seems to have set fine in the caramel (although I'm still not sure if it's actually heavy cream or not!).


This looked more attractive before cooking than after.


It kind of cracked, and was a much lighter colour than Smitten Kitchen's. But cutting it into heart shapes increased the attractiveness by about 150%.


Unfortunately that left a lot of scrap edges though...


In order to avoid consuming half of the slab myself in aid of "cleaning up the leftovers," I decided to cut a large section into boring old rectangles. Once you taste them you don't care what they look like anyway. You'll be concentrating on how to sneak a second one ;)

PS. See the sneaky caramel heart? <3

No comments:

Post a Comment