Sunday, May 27, 2012

Chocolate and Strawberry Cupcakes

Don’t make these unless you want to eat the most awesome thing ever. I’m warning you now.




Apart from the fact that they’re utterly fantastic, these can quite easily be made gluten and/or dairy free. Also egg free, so they’re vegan-friendly. Also, no electric mixer required. Like I said – fantastic (with or without gluten - I've tried both versions and they're equally delectable).



I got the cake recipe from Group Recipes (ßsee post here). I’ve added my tweaks below (doesn’t necessarily improve it, that’s just the way I did it!).

Ingredients (makes a neat 12)
1.5 cup plain flour OR gluten-free plain flour
1 cup brown sugar
Generous 1/4 cup cocoa powder (usually gluten free but check if making GF)
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup canola oil OR olive oil (either works)
teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon vinegar (I just used white vinegar because that’s what I had!)
1 cup water

1.     Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line 12 cup muffin/cupcake pan.
2.     Sift together the dry ingredients.
3.     Add the oil, vanilla, vinegar, and water. Mix together till smooth.
4.     Pour into lined muffin cups. Bake about 25 minutes (test to see if a skewer comes out clean).

5.       When the cupcakes are cool, I suggest scooping a chunk out of the centre of each one and spooning in some strawberry jam (about a teaspoon-ish), then replacing the cake chunk. The jam will kind of soak in, and it doesn’t matter if the surface looks messy if you’re icing over the top anyway.

6.       Use whatever kind of chocolate icing that suits you. But if it needs to be dairy free, try mixing together the following…
  • 65 grams of Nuttelex
  • 1.5-2 cups of icing sugar
  • 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
  • A little hot or boiling water as needed to achieve good texture (the heat makes it easier to incorporate the Nuttelex)
7.       Pipe or spread the icing onto the cupcakes. Then decorate with slivers or chunks of fresh strawberry.
  


 Try not to eat them all by yourself… unless that was your plan all along.

2 comments:

  1. I've noticed you're baking loads of GF/Vegan. Is this because you or someone else in your household is GF/Vegan or are you experimenting? I like to try alternatives too. When I need to make something different, (a friend of mine is gluten, dairy and soy intolerant) it can be challenging! Usually the generic brand cocoa is GF but the quality is lacking (less refined), and I have to use the most expensive chocolate (Lindt/ or other 70% cocoa brand, still the expensive ones) because of the soy. I really makes you think about all the additives in food!

    I don't like to use nutlex, simply because I don't like the taste. If I'm baking for myself, I usually just use old fashioned butter, but if it's for my friend, I use coconut butter. It does give things a coconut flavour, but that's usually a good thing. Again, it's expensive, but the texture is more controllable. when it's cold it solidifies, when it's warm, it's liquid, and it's not as fussy as butter/butter substitutes. It can handle changing form several times.

    I must stop looking at all the delectable goodies. I haven't baked in ages because of my stupid dissertation >-<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just so happens that I have a gluten, dairy and soy intolerant friend too! How's that for a coincidence? I bake a fair bit so I use heaps of generic products, but I'm not bothered by the quality (could be unrefined taste, or just blind enthusiasm?).

      Some things you do just have to pay more to fit with allergies/intolerances (like the 70% Lindt - I've used that too!) but it's worth it to include people with dietary restrictions. I'm kinda opposite to you in that I don't much like coconut, but am fine with Nuttelex, except for when it's a pain and separates out of my icing :p. Dissertation will end one day, and then the baking can resume!!!

      Delete