Saturday, May 19, 2012

Hummingbird Cupcakes, Muesli Muffins and Mini Quiches

Another mish-mash blog post.

I had some very ripe bananas and a tin of pineapple in the pantry so I had a go at hummingbird cupcakes. I needed them to be gluten and dairy free, so used this recipe and just substituted regular flour with gluten free. It worked OK, but I'm still not sold on that grainy texture you get from the gluten free flour, and as yet I've been too lazy to look into ways to avoid it!


I put some crushed pineapple and some juice into the icing to make it a little bit tart. Seemed to go OK.


For Mother's Day brunch celebrations I made muesli muffins using this recipe. I felt these were a bit bland, but I'd say that's mostly because I'm used to cupcakes, which are obviously a lot sweeter. These are quite nice as a snack anyway (especially warmed up with a little butter or margarine) and relatively healthy. I opted to use grated carrot instead of apple, so if I wanted to boost the sweetness I'd probably make sure I had the apple handy!


Mother's Day picnic also saw some more quiche, this time in mini form (post on the dinner sized version is here). I like the flexibility of quiche in that you can basically put in any fillings you fancy or have handy to use up. For this lot I used grated zucchini, a little diced onion, bacon and corn.

Mish mash over and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment