Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Banana Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Icing

I've had a bag of mashed banana in the freezer for at least a couple of months and decided it was finally time to use it, but it still felt pretty extravagant to make banana cake again when banana prices have been so horrendous for so long.

I used a recipe that my friend Jenn gave me at my hen's high tea before I got married. It's super easy and all done in the food processor. It also happens to taste extremely good.


The plain white, large patty pans I've been using to date are an odd size and tend to crinkle up annoyingly. At the supermarket the other day I came to the delightful realisation that coloured cases are exactly the same price per unit AND it turns out that they're actually the right size for my muffin pan :)


It was my intention to decorate these with cream cheese icing in my usual fashion, but I had friends over and they were of the opinion that bright colours would be better.


I provided the cakes and the icing. They did the decorating.


And I was actually quite impressed by the results!


I usually just use one colour of icing because I figure it cuts down on the cleaning up afterwards, but the extra colour is pretty cool, I must say.


The colours reminded us of the food fight scene in Hook (the Peter Pan movie starring Robin Williams). See the clip here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPCzjHPS--U


Here's one by Domestic Cowboy.


Banana cake is just as good as I remembered it being, and this time it was also rather pretty :)

No comments:

Post a Comment