Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Peach cobbler cupcakes

Have I mentioned how much I love Willow Bird Baking? Julie, who writes it, encourages fun and creativity in the kitchen and has a fantastic recipe index going!

This time around I decided to try Peach Cobbler Cupcakes (<-- link here). I have a soft spot for fruit and also enjoy streusel (ie. crumbly topping) so these sounded pretty good indeed. The batter started out looking a bit gross - buttermilk and peach syrup just don't look pretty when you mix them together!


But, as expected, things soon improved.


I put about 5 chunks of peach into each cake but next time I think I'd try using enough to cover the whole middle layer of streusel and make a bigger deal of the peach.


The fruit is covered over with another layer of batter and streusel. (They're not the quickest cakes to assemble, but it's a tasty combination.)


And then baked.


I just made a quarter batch of cream cheese icing (see previous posts for recipe adapted from Bakerella) to put a small swirl on each cupcake.


But even a quarter batch was too much. I got a bit carried away and over-iced a few - proving, once again, that less really is more.


These were lovely and moist, and the splashes of peach syrup in the batter and icing were a nice touch.

No comments:

Post a Comment