Sunday, January 22, 2012

Banana Walnut Bread

Domestic Cowboy started a new job today so I got a bit wifely on the weekend and baked some banana bread for our work lunches. Banana Walnut Bread to be precise.

It starts out kinda ugly (especially with the flash reflecting off the bowl!).


And it ends up... well, I guess still kinda ugly. But it looks a lot more edible like this :)


A friend shared this recipe with me, and it comes from Janelle Bloom's book "Fast, Fresh and Fabulous." It must be one of her staples, because it also appears on her website's recipe page (just search for "Banana Walnut Bread" or scan down a little :).


The version that my friend wrote out for me (thanks Gemma!) suggests sprinkling the cake with a tablespoon of raw sugar just before baking. I didn't have any raw sugar, so used brown sugar instead, which gave this particular loaf a speckly, tiger-bread-ish look.


This is so good served warm with a little butter/margarine! And not nearly as bad for you as cake. It does contain half a cup of brown sugar (+ any that you sprinkle on top), but no butter in the mix itself - what you choose to spread it with is probably the least healthy part!

Janelle herself spruiks it as "low in fat but high in flavour. Great for lunchboxes or toasted for breakfast or an after school snack." Hear, hear, Janelle. Yum.

2 comments:

  1. Pies take so much effort. I'll have to dig up some of my chocolate pie photos just for you.

    ReplyDelete